The Climb....

"Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing"~Barry Finlay


I once read that there was a particular study on basketball free throw efficiency where one person sat on the sideline and watched a player attempt 100 free throws, while another player with similar skills/percentage actually went through shooting 100 free throws in a row.

What the study found was that the person who watched and learned had a greater percentage improvement than the person who would shoot countless free throws in a row. The key takeaway is that, although actually going through the motion and practice is important, it was almost just as important or sometimes even more important to be able to observe your craft from a different vantage point for incremental improvements.

Which leads me to the movie I watched last week. That movie had some good A-listers, and it was a night and day difference in talent from the movie I'd seen the week before where the acting was rather bland. The plot line was entertaining, but it was the acting and the delivery of the script that really made the movie successful (after the first weekend, it had already made back the budget on the domestic box office alone). Once again, the main characters were well cast to play to their strengths for these roles, so that added to the film's success. Which brings me back to the group last week.

One of the biggest takeaways I had was the different skills, talents and personalities that each person brings to the mix. We watched the audition examples from the week prior, and it was impressive how well the camera can catch the little nuances that made each person an individual.

Much like the basketball study/example I mentioned, one of my main focuses on this particular night was to study those different personalities to either incorporate them sometime in the future into a character I may play or simply to be able to seamlessly interact with the group in different scenes and scenarios.

I've also been doing a lot more Instagram stories to learn my own little nuances and how I interact with the camera to be able to be more comfortable with getting emotion across on camera so that it comes out genuine instead of faked or forced. That's part of the reason why I decided to change my upcoming monologue from an Elvis scene to a Jerry Maguire movie scene. Yes, THAT scene at the end of the movie. It's very hard to change those emotions from happy, to sad, to pleading, to happy to sad again. Very very challenging. I may still change it, because at church today that was referenced as being a completely fake scene on love and marriage. We shall see. Ha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one needs to know.....

The Journey

"Don't be THAT person...."